Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bathroom: Plumbing problems...

Destruction Ends, Construction begins! A couple days into demolition, I decided I should shut off the water to the bathroom and after hunting around in the basement, I found two valves on the copper supply lines running straight up to the bathroom. Perfect! I can keep the rest of the water on while I work on bathroom plumbing. But then, as I started twisting one of the valves closed, it literally sprayed water on me and soon there was a puddle on the basement floor. The leak stopped completely when I opened the valve fully. Then, in the same moment, I noticed a few drips hanging under the insulation on a pipe nearby, and was horrified to discover underneath the insulation that the pipe had a rusty section wrapped in electrical tape and was leaking, probably about to burst. It was the only steel piping left in the house and supplied the outdoor faucet (which also leaks, a lot), upstairs bathroom, and washing machine (which has leaky valves, too!).

I eased myself into plumbing by first buying a few Shark Bite fittings and valves (easy but costly push-together system) and replaced about 40 feet of steel pipe in the basement, but realized I couldn't do the whole job with Shark Bite or I'd add a couple hundred bucks on right there, so I sat down and watched, yet again, more YouTube "how to" videos and taught myself how to sweat copper pipes. Here's a partially-pictured list of the plumbing I had to re-do:

1. supply lines to outdoor faucet and washing machine; new valves for bathroom supply lines (I used pex pipe for this, works great)

2. washing machine faucet and sink hook-ups (see above, new PEX piping and a Sharkbite shut-off valve to replace the old, nearly bursting steel pipe, and then I used (much cheaper) copper for all the joints and valves for the sink and washing machine).

3. tapped into a gas line for our (used, old) gas dryer which required about 5 threaded fittings. For this, I had to buy a big, hefty pipe wrench, a tool I didn't understand prior to this job. I'm glad I didn't attempt it without a pipe wrench. I tested all the fittings with soap to look for bubbles.

4. drains for sink and tub

5. toilet supply line

6. new main valve for shower**

Once I got the new valves in the basement for the bathroom supply lines, I was able to shut them off and isolate the bathroom so I could tinker on it. Total time with the main water shut off for the whole project: only TWO hours!! **Number 6 was a huge test of patience and confidence. It involved some 15 plus sweated copper joints, one of which leaked when I tested the system, right at the connection to the new main valve. A slow drip, maybe once every 10 seconds, but enough to make me almost give up entirely. A simple YouTube search just wasn't helping this time. I should've called someone. Out of frustration and desperation, I cut through the pipe next to the leak, grabbed the pipe with my biggest set of pliers, and, to my surprise, was able to crush/muscle it out of its fitting without messing up the valve box nor the other joints on it. An hour later and 5 new sweated joints, and I was done with all of the plumbing - for now. I will probably replace the powder room's sink at some point, and I still have to run a line to the fridge which I've now learned is a simple $20, 1-2 hour task. (the previous owner I guess decided it wasn't worth it? to buy a new fridge with an ice machine and filtered water, but not hook it up??)

It's an empowering thing to realize I now understand and know the location of all of the plumbing and gas lines in the house, and am confident I could fix whatever problems may arise - it's the ACCESS to that problem that presents the biggest challenge, and identifying exactly what's leaking or failing because it's hidden can be a nightmare. I can't wait to live in a house that is plumbed entirely with PEX piping (like PVC but flexible and more durable) as many new houses are! My biggest worry: hoping the drains in the new bathroom will function fine despite having just about the minimum slope required (1/4" drop per 1 foot horizontal).

Next up: Construction - The Bathtub

5 comments:

  1. Almost all households have plumbing and drainage systems. Bathroom plumbing is the cause of most plumbing calls because bathrooms are usually equipped with the most plumbing pipes of any room in your home. Toilet clogs and leaks are two of the most common home plumbing problems. The homeowner can use a plunger to solve the immediate problem with a clogged toilet.


    Chris from kitchen plumber

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the most common tools for plumbing repairs for common plumbing problems which usually deal on leaky faucets, clogged sinks and clogged drainage, and poor flushing. One of the most common and the easiest to resolve plumbing dilemma is clogged sinks and drainage. This can be done with the aid of a plunger. Make sure though that when you do changes or installations for a new plumbing system, that you are also equipped with knowledge about plumbing. On the other hand, there are a lot of well presented illustrations and details on the net that can surely help you in your simple plumbing repair needs.

    toilet plumber  services

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your DIY prowess is very inspiring, Logan. Many wouldn’t even dare touch their plumbing systems for fear that they may inadvertently ruin their lines. It’s amazing that you used YouTube as an instruction manual, which proves how the internet can make our lives a whole lot easier. I wish you success with your DIY adventures!

    Darryl Iorio

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really awesome that you've learned a lot from those tutorials you’ve watched and you are now very confident to fix any further damages on your lines. That's a really good thing because you'll be able to save so much in years of not needing professionals to help out.

    Carmella Vancil

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is incredibly impressive, Logan! However, what I fear most about DIY plumbing is that I may cause more problems rather than solving it. Instructional videos aren’t often entirely precise and helpful, especially if the parts and locations of your plumbing system are different from what’s in the video.

    Althea Tumlin

    ReplyDelete