Monday, May 21, 2012

Camping and Watkins Glen

This weekend we went camping for the first time with two kids! It was perfect. We couldn't have asked for better weather and better behavior from our boys.  We went to Fillmore Glen with some friends from Madison who now live in Ithaca. It was fun to hang out with them and their daughter (almost 1 yr). I'm sad I didn't get many pictures of our actual campsite.
We set up two tents. Logan and Trevor slept in our 4 man tent with the pack and play. Brennan and I slept in our 2 man tent. Trevor went down like a charm - I was shocked. He did go to bed late the night before and only had one nap the day of camping. Brennan however stayed up late. We let him stay by the fire and make s'mores.  At one point Brennan said he was ready for bed and wanted to go to sleep. Can't argue with that! I took him into the tent and got him settled. I then went back out to the fire. Like every night, Brennan wiggled around and talked in the tent. After about 30 minutes he decided he wanted to join us again at the fire. He stayed until about 10:30pm when we all went to bed. When we were in the tent he wiggled a bit and then leaned over and said, "Mom, I love you so much!" I loved it. What a perfect way to end the day.
Every time Brennan wiggled, in the night, I woke up to see if he was covered. His blanket was usually off of him. Trevor woke up at 5:45am and Brennan slept until 8am (which means I was able to sleep in as well). 
The next morning we decided to drive to Watkins Glen since the Fillmore Glen gorge trail was closed. We left about 10am and got to Fillmore Glen at about 11am. Not bad. Trevor was able to take a nap - which was very helpful.
Off to a great start! Trevor happy in his pack and Brennan happy to walk. We didn't really have a plan of distance, we just headed out. I don't think any of us knew how long the trail would be.  It's upstate NY, it wasn't going to be too long.
Brennan was showing me his different faces he does when he gets pictures taken. Silly kid. I don't know where he got this from?
Brennan walked/ran the whole trail! Not to mention stopped MANY times to explore his surroundings.

Me trying to keep Brennan from climbing over an edge. When we first started the trail there was a lady gasping with fright when I wasn't right by Brennan's side when he got up to see over an edge. I guess I figured I should be a better mom the rest of the trail and be right next to him.
 Heading under a small waterfall. Brennan wasn't always too happy when his feet got wet and muddy.

 Trevor was a sport! He loved to walk under water and didn't complain at all.
 Brennan trying to find new paths to walk on. These little detours took a long time.
Brennan not wanting to stop and stand on the bridge for a picture. He was happy to look over the edge behind the bridge.


Brennan wasn't thrilled to take a family picture. 

The trail ended up being 1.5 miles out. Which is fine right. Not when you have a 3 year old needing to use the bathroom at 1.3 of a mile.  This trail was thin and packed with people. There wasn't a place to step to the side to let a little boy go.  Luckily by the time I figured he had to go to the bathroom we were near the end. Logan and Johnny ran to the entrance of the trail to get our cars. Then they drove up to the end (I guess there were two entrances). It worked out perfectly.

Here's to a happy camping weekend and more to come!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for braving the camping with two kids. We're trying to decide if we're going to brave camping with three this summer ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved camping with our kids. I remember the stage when pictures were so hard to take with at least one kid looking at you. Fun time

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a pretty place to hike to. I love the water falls and green there.

    ReplyDelete