Sunday, November 13, 2011

Hartford 1/2 Marathon, etc.

 Random shot of the runners. I kept my eyes peeled but I never did get a picture of either of the girls running!
Finishers! Jana and Heather


 The cheerleaders! Heather trained well for her first half marathon and met her goal, coming in just over 2 hours. Jana was hot on her heels just a few minutes behind. Brennan, Trevor and I enjoyed the sights of Hartford and then waited at the 12 mile marker to cheer them on!
 Bushnell Park and the State Capitol Building, with a fountain topped by a stag (or "hart" for Hartford).
 The Memorial Arch, or "Soldiers and Sailors Memorial" built in the 1880's to remember the 4,000 soldiers from Hartford who fought (and 400 who died) in the Civil War.
 Buffalo Zach's Cafe in some small town whose name I forgot. We stopped here to get gas on the way home and I ran into a family at the town's only gas station who was collecting money to pay medical bills for their daughter who has SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy). I had to stop and talk to them, and donate what little cash was in my wallet, because I cared for many patients with SMA as part of my pediatrics rotation at the U of Wisconsin which is nationally recognized for its expertise in caring for SMA. Such a horrible disease! 
 Shelves for our new basement "pantry."
 Some random photos - cleaning up the leaves. Brennan was quite helpful actually, helping to hold the bags while we stuffed them full.
 Daddy's new car (a 1995 Geo Prizm) to get me to work when it's too rainy or snowy to ride my bike (and for my February pediatrics rotation at U of Rochester which is no trivial 15 miles away).
Our Japanese Maple in full fall color glory! We got this for free from a neighbor who pots the seedlings as they come up from her trees. I made some admiring comments about her maples which are the biggest ones I had ever seen - large enough that they no longer hide her house!

No comments:

Post a Comment